This article is about transferring your MFA accounts between your old phone and your new one. If you have a new phone, but don't have access to your old one, do the following:
- Contact your system administrator to have your Google Authenticator reset.
- After being reset, follow the Google Authenticator setup instructions in this article.
MFA Transfer Requirements:
Transferring MFA from an old iPhone to a new iPhone requires that the app, Google Authenticator, be installed on both phones at the same time. Connection to the network and internet is also required.
Note: Do *not* delete Google authenticator from the old phone until you have confirmed the MFA codes have transferred.
Before transferring MFA codes between iPhones, please be sure to run the following to avoid potential issues.
- Using the App Store, download the Google Authenticator to the new iPhone. This is a free app that only requires an Apple Id to download. Note: if you restored your information from the old phone to the new phone, the app is probably already downloaded.
- Update both iPhones to the latest iOS available. Your organization may limit what iOS you can use. In this case, ensure it is on the latest version your organization uses.
- Check both phone’s App Stores for software updates. If Google Authenticator needs an update on either phone, complete the update first.
Transfer Auth Accounts
Prep Old iPhone for Export
- On your old phone, open the Google Authenticator app.
- In the upper right of the authentication app, find the three dots. Tap it to open the menu. Click on “Export Accounts”
- This opens a new window. Click “Export Accounts” and “Continue.” You will need to verify your identity with your PIN.
- You will be shown a list of items that you can export. There should be at least one checked, When in doubt, transfer all of them.
- The next screen will show you a QR code (blurred out in the illustration). Keep this open while you work on the new iPhone. You will soon scan this QR code with next steps in the instructions.
Import into New iPhone
Whether you download the app from the Apple store or restore your new iPhone from the old, Google Authenticator starts as if it is newly downloaded. Open the file and you will see its start screen.
- Click “Get Started” (sample images below)
- At the bottom of the screen, click “Import Existing Accounts.” Do *not* click Scan QR code on this screen.
- On the next screen, scan a QR code. You may be asked to allow the app to use your phone. Select yes.
With your new phone, scan the QR code on the old phone. All of the MFA settings should import automatically into the new device.
Verify Working MFA
Once the MFA codes are entered into the new device, ensure that you can access your accounts with MFA codes provided. Check with your company's internal IT security polices regarding the MFA application on the old device to avoid any security vulnerabilities.