With file versions, you can now see how files are related to one another. In the right panel of the package view or asset viewer is a new “Versions” icon.
When you select this icon, the panel shows the file and its related files (parent/child). You can search for other files and associate them with the one you’re viewing. And you can upload a file directly as a new version.
Associating Related Files
Associating related files is very easy to do with Versioning and can be accomplished in a few steps:
- Select a file that you’d like to associate various files to and open it in an asset viewer from a package or from the File Search menu. Then click on the versioning icon on the right panel to open the Versions menu.
In our example, file happyCat_v01.jpg is open in the asset viewer with the Versions menu open. This will be our ‘Parent’ file.
- To begin searching for related files, go ahead and start typing into the Search field located in the Versions menu.
In our example, we are looking for files with ‘happyCat’ in the filename. We are going to associate our happyCat_v01.jpg ‘parent’ file with all other versions of happyCat files that we find in the database. In this example, we have 9 results found in our search.
- From the files found in the Versions menu, click on the Add (+) icon to the right of the file to associate that file to your parent file. Alternatively, to remove your selected file, click on the Exclude (-) icon. Once all files are selected, click on Save button, to save your selections.
In our example, we will associate all of the 9 found files by clicking "+" for each of the files. Once associated, these files become the ‘children’ of our ‘parent’ file happyCat_v01.jpg.
Selected files: Saved results:
Uploading Related Files into Existing Asset Group
You can upload a file directly as a new version into an existing asset group.
- Open a file in the asset viewer from a Package or File Search menu that you’d like to associate your new upload with. With the Versions menu open, click on the Upload icon and select ‘Upload New VERSION’ option from the popup box. This option will associate your uploaded file automatically without any extra steps.
Note: If you select the ‘Upload new FILE to group’ option, it will allow you to just upload a file into your asset group without associating it to any file.
- From the ‘Select Asset Group’ popup, make your selection from the provided two options. In our example, we will select our existing asset group option.
- Select a file(s) you’d like to upload from the file browser window that will popup on your desktop and click open.
- The new file version will be uploaded into an existing asset group and will appear in the Versions menu. This new file is also automatically related to our parent file.
In our example, happyCat_v12.png file was uploaded into an existing asset group and is appearing in the Versions menu as a related file.